VERA – Very Exceptional Recognition Award
Girlguiding Ripon Division celebrated Thinking Day at All Hallowgate church, Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and their leaders gathered to learn about different countries around the world. The event also was the first time that the VERA awards had been presented. These awards are named after Ms Vera Bunton who was a huge supporter of Girlguiding, and she left a legacy which has been transformed into the Very Exceptional & Recognition Award.
The list of recipients included:
- Erin Harrison (a Guide with 5th Ripon but who was a Brownie with 2nd Ripon Brownies at the time of the nomination) – Erin is never without a smile, always helps with younger members and was an exceptional Brownie
- Porshia Steel 6th Ripon Brownies – Porshia tries really hard at Brownies, she has just been made a sixer and her leader says she is really proud of her for doing her best
- Katie Ratcliffe 5th Ripon Guides – Katie is a smiley happy Guide, as well as being helpful, one of the most important things to Katie as a person is ‘being in a happy place’ and we love that Guides is this for her
- Louise Taylor – Young Leader with North Stainley Brownies. Louise is an asset to our Division, she is happy, enthusiastic and most of all is an incredibly strong young lady
- Katie Oates – Leader in Training with 6th Ripon Guides – another one who is always smiling at Guides, Katie is passionate about Guiding, she is an inspiration to all within the unit, she does everything to the best of her ability, relates well to the younger members and is an important member of the team at 6th Ripon
- Isabel Benson – Trefoil Guild – Isabel has helped countless leaders with their accounts, been treasurer for the Division, District, Hazel House and countless camps and events.
Finally Hazel Barker – What does Hazel do? Well the list would be too long to detail, so just a couple of things; helps with Guides, camps, events ,the shop, looks after Hazel House, in fact without Hazel we would not have had Hazel House. One other thing Hazel is involved with is the Ripon Community Poppy Project, Hazel is offering to go into Rainbow, Brownie & Guides units to explain about this, she will bring everything with her to have an evening making poppies or poppy wreaths.